The following text is a re-printed article published by IMRG, the e-retail industry body that provides the ISIS (Internet Shopping Is Safe) accreditation. ISIS is backed by the UK government. Mio Destino is ISIS accredited.
Introduction to Safe Online Shopping
Shopping Online provides a convenient way of making purchases at any time of day, 365 days a year, from a wide range of retailers offering more choice than ever before. However, we would recommend that you take some precautionary measures to protect yourself and ensure that you have an enjoyable time shopping in the global shopping centre that the internet has come to represent;
1. All of your usual shopping rights apply online: see www.consumer.gov.uk
2. Know who you’re dealing with: get the seller’s landline phone number and postal address
3. Be aware of terms and conditions: check payment and delivery details
4. Keep records of what you order
5. EU Law protects you against fraudulent use of your payment card in EU transactions: credit cards give you extra protection
6. Only give your payment card details over a secure connection, and never by email: never disclose your PIN number to anyone, and never send it over the internet
7. You usually have at least 7 days to cancel an order and request a refund from an EU retailer
8. Check your payment card statement carefully: you have at least 90 days to report a suspect transaction
9. When you buy goods online from outside the EU:
• you are an importer and may be liable to pay any Customs Duty and VAT;
• err on the side of caution as it may be difficult to seek redress if problems arise
10. If you have a problem, contact the seller then, if you need to, the payment company, local Trading Standards Office and any ‘trustmark’ organsiation the seller is registered with.
ISIS (“Internet Shopping is Safe”) is run by e-tail industry body IMRG (Interactive Media Retail Group), and is backed by the UK government. ISIS-accredited merchants now account for approximately two thirds of all UK online shopping.
You can shop online with confidence wherever you see the ISIS logo because it certifies that the merchant has:
• registered with the ISIS programme and undertaken to trade in a manner that is legal, decent, honest, truthful and fair
• had its web site and service reviewed and monitored by IMRG
• had its Business, VAT and Data Protection registrations checked by IMRG